Young Leaders Delegation in Taiwan
- When: October 18, 2012 - October 25, 2012
- Time: Multi-day (see above)
- Event contact: John Nelson
- Email contact: email@example.com
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China (Taiwan), is sponsoring a twelve student delegation to visit Taiwan for one week in October 2012. The trip will promote a greater awareness of Taiwan’s economic, social and political development, as well as its role in a dynamic international society. The delegation will include six students each from the University of Ottawa and Carleton University, and one professor from the University of Ottawa.
The Taiwanese government will arrange for and cover the costs of students’ travel, accommodations, comprehensive health insurance, ground travel in Taiwan and most meals. Students will be responsible for covering in-transit costs and any meals not covered by the Taiwanese government. The itinerary will include interviews with government officials, political leaders and representatives of social movements and NGOs, as well as visits to research institutes, leading global firms and places of historical interest. Students will also participate in a half-day conference, interacting with local students at one of Taiwan’s leading universities.
During their visit in Taiwan, student delegates will gain information about Taiwan’s economic, social and political development, as well as specific contextual information related to their field of study. Upon their return, they will be required to present a formal report about their experience.
- have a native or near-native level of English, as most discussions in Taiwan will be held in English
- demonstrate both academic excellence and leadership achievement
- demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- hold a valid Canadian passport
- be senior undergraduate students (third year or higher) or graduate students
By Thursday, September 13, students must submit an application by email to John Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- subject heading “Taiwan Student Delegation Trip Application”
- a copy of their most recent transcript
- a curriculum vitae
- a completed application form
- a letter of recommendation from an academic or professional reference which comments on the students’ suitability. Reference letters must be sent directly to John Nelson by referees.
The final selection of students will be made by a joint uOttawa-Carleton University committee which contains professors and staff from each university. Students will be notified by Monday, September 17 if they have been selected.
Students will be responsible for contacting their professors since they will most likely be missing classes while away.
The International Student Services Office will host two information sessions on Monday, September 10th in the ISSO Lounge, 128 UC from 10:30 to 11:15 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Inquiries can be directed to John Nelson (email@example.com).