Print content area
WebCT Instructor Manual
A step by step guide for using WebCT.
Help With Accounts, Technical Difficulties, And Student Support
Help And Training On Using The Tools Available In WebCT
WebCT is an easy-to-use commercial web application that allows faculty members and contract instructors to place materials online for their students to access. WebCT also offers numerous different tools such as quizzes or discussions to create a rich and engaging online learning environment.
All instructors teaching at Carleton have a WebCT course automatically created for each course section that they are teaching.
If you find your students having difficulty navigating WebCT, you can direct them to this intuitive support site
. They’ll have access to step-by-step instructions, as well as video tutorials detailing the functions of a number of the most commonly used tools in WebCT.
The site shows how students can stay organized with the Calendar tool, how to keep a constant communication link between you, their classmates and TAs using the Discussion and internal e-mailing tool, or how they can access the grades you release to them after each assignment.
The Research Process learning module was developed by the Carleton University library in order to address common problems seen in the research methods of students. The module goes over how to research using the library, tips for choosing your topic and thesis, writing guidelines, as well as how to get help writing your essay. It is a pre-made resource which is designed to be easily integrated into your WebCT course. The module is stored in the WebCT Repository, accessible to all Faculty, and can be added to your course in seconds. Please refer to the links below for more information and a guide on how to import the Library Learning Module to your course;
Perform the following steps to set up the Media Library tool to allow students to add entries to it.
Adding the Media Library tool
- From the Build tab on the course Home Page, select Manage Course > Tools from the left-hand menu.
- From the list of available tools, ensure Media Library is selected, and then click on the Save button located at the bottom of the page.
Enabling student entries
- From the Build tab, select Manage Course > Settings, then select Media Library located under the Tools heading.
- Change the “Allow Media Library entries to be created by roles other than the designer” value to true and click Save Values.
Setting up the Media Library
WebCT organizes media into “Collections” within the Media Library tool. These collections allow you to create specific areas for different topics of media. By default, the library is populated with a collection called “Glossary”.
- You must first delete the default topic. Select the check box located on the left side of the title “Glossary” and then click on the Delete button.
- To create the new collection you will use, click Create Collection and then enter a Title and Description. Click on the Save button when you are finished.
Adding a link to the collection on the home page
- From the Build tab, select Add Content Link > Media Library Collection and choose your collection.
- Click on the Add Selected button to complete the procedure.