Each facilitator conducts weekly review workshops for students enrolled in one course.
Applications for 2020-2021 ESP/IESP Facilitator positions are now closed. Check the current status by clicking “Positions Available” under the video.
If you wish to submit a late application, please do so. If we are unable to staff a position from the applications received on time, we will review any late applications.
Summer 2020: All interviews will be conducted online.
What is an ESP/IESP Facilitator?
For FAQ, click here.
NOTE: We will be emailing selected candidates for group interviews the week of May 25th, 2020. Group interviews will be held online from May 29-June 12, 2020.
The following positions are contingent on budgetary approval.
You may apply for one or more fall-winter course pairings for which you are qualified.
|ANTH 1001 & 1002||JOUR1003 & FILM 1101|
|CHEM 1001 & 1002||LAWS 1001 & 1002|
|CHST 1000 & 1002||*MATH 1009 & BUSI 2204|
|COMP 1005 & 1006||MATH 1004 & 1104|
|COMS 1000||MATH 1007 & 1107|
|CGSC 1001 & PHIL 1301||PSCI 1501 & 1200|
|**CRCJ 1000 (winter only)||PSYC 1001 & 1002|
|ECON1001 & 1002||**PSYC 1001 (winter only)|
|ENST 1000 & GEOG 1010||SOCI 1001 & 1002|
|HIST 1001||SOWK 1001 & 1002|
|INDG 1010 & 1011|
*Position suitable for Business majors with MATH 1009 and at least one course in marketing.
**Facilitators for winter-only positions attend training and meetings during the fall semester.
What qualities do you look for in a facilitator?
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Organizational skills and reliability
- Ability to model strong study habits
- Approachable, friendly, and non-judgmental
- A desire to help students who may struggle with academic skills or motivation
- Open to learning and feedback
- Belong to a community of caring, hardworking colleagues
- Work with motivated, high-achieving peers from all academic disciplines
- Improve your collaboration and leadership skills
- Cement your learning of core material in your field
- Deepen your knowledge of the learning process
- Overall CGPA of 8.0 and CGPA of 9.0 in the discipline of the course you’re applying to facilitate
- At least 2.5 credits in the same discipline as the selected course
- Carleton undergraduate (at least 3rd year) or graduate student
- Prior enrollment with the professor who is to teach the course is an asset
- Each facilitator prepares and leads a weekly workshop for 20-30 students taking one elective course. Preparing for the workshop includes attending the course lecture, reviewing the readings, and preparing a workshop plan. With support from a team leader, facilitators design activities that help students to review course material while developing effective academic skills and habits. The goal is for students to learn how to learn and be ready to tackle university independently after ESP/IESP.
Duties and Pay
- Facilitators work an average of 10-12 hours a week.
- The rate of pay for new facilitators is $22/hour.
|Weekly duties||Periodic duties|
|– attend lecture||– training|
|– plan workshop||– peer observation and feedback|
|– run workshop||– meetings with Team Leader & Coordinator|
|– attend team meeting|
|– hold office hour|
|– complete paperwork|
All facilitators must attend training and orientation sessions on the last week of August and first week of September, 2020. There will also be several mandatory training sessions each semester. These will be held on Friday afternoons or evenings (dates to be confirmed).
COVID NOTE: If campus remains closed in Fall 2020, all training will be online, and the schedule will likely change.
How to apply
Please read our FAQs for more details.
- Carefully read this website, including our FAQs, for details on qualifications, availability, and how to submit your application correctly.
- Check that you are available for group interviews* and mandatory training sessions.
- Prepare your documents
- Complete the online application form.
- If you receive an individual-interview invitation (following your group interview), submit your references and schedule using this form.
NOTE: The application form will automatically expand to allow you to submit documents once you have confirmed your availability for training.
Facilitator Hiring Timeline 2020
Updated 29 May 2020
- April 4-May4: Submit application
- By June 10: Get selected for group interview
- May 29-June 12: Group Interviews
- mid-June to mid-July: Individual interviews
- By July 20: Receive job offer
- July & August: Paperwork, read training manual, quizzes
- Last week of August & first week of September: training
- September 9: Classes begin
- September 14: Workshop begin
Questions? Contact us by email or by telephone (613-520-2600 Ext. 1523).